Zakat is known as Islamic charity or tax. It has been mentioned in Quran that every Muslim must donate his/her wealth to people who are in need. Amongst the five pillars of Islam, Zakat is one of them which encourage Muslim to make donations. There are numerous people who are homeless and starving without food; however with Zakat poverty can be eradicated.
While performing, zakat a certain percentage of wealth is donated to people who are in need. Such donations can also be made to Muslim foundations; however one must ensure that it reaches to the needy people across the world. Zakat is derived from the word Zakaa which means to purify ones souls, increase happiness and be showered with good deeds. This clarifies that it is very important to share one’s wealth among people who are in need and empower them live a good life.
It can be donated in any form, which means it may not always be money or food. It can be a simple smile or kind words to someone to make his day or life beautiful. Charity in Islam indeed holds a very important place and must be performed by every individual such that their sins can be forgotten and good life can be imparted to everyone.
How to perform Charity in Islam?
- One can donate money and building materials when there is a mosque construction. Or can even contribute by working during the construction.
- There are many children who are suffering from lack of education; one can donate money to build an Islamic college or school. Educating a child is the biggest wealth which one can donate.
According to the teachings of Quran, every Muslim should do charity and perform good deed for a peaceful and fruitful afterlife. It is believed that a person who has done good deeds in his life will be rewarded through credits and recognition. Good deeds can be performed by passing on and educating people about teachings of Islam, and also from the acts of his righteous children who will pray for his peaceful afterlife.
Donations and Charity Work
According to the teachings of Islam, there are a number of selfless charity works that can be done. People are encouraged to charity work not only for their own benefit but also the good of others in need. These include:
- Islamic donation made to Mosques, orphanages, schools, health clinics and hospitals
- Labour work undertaken for construction of Mosques, schools, hospitals and other public places
- Sponsoring a needy person or child
- Distributing and educating others about the teaching of the Holy Scripture of Islam
- Teaching a person to recite the Holy Quran or dua
- Planting trees, helping animals or distributing water and food to the needy
Significance in Islam
The charity work or donations made in Islam are called as Sadaqah or ceaseless charity. Islam teaches to make as many selfless charity and donations as possible. Charity done for Muslim girl’s school is also said to bring many rewards and credits to the person. Such rewards not only benefit an individual during his life, but also enable the person to reap its benefits even after death.
Education is very important for everyone. It is not only important for development of an individual, instead it contributes for the development of nation as a whole. Education is not only about learning, reading, speaking or solving mathematics problem; it also helps in understanding the world in a better way. Now many backward countries have taken initiative to help girl child educate, which in turn helps in improving the economic growth of the company.
Education in Islamic country
In many of the Islamic countries, girls are sent to school so that they can be educated well. Earlier days girls were never let out of the house, but now world has changed. There are many charity organisations which offer donation for students who cannot afford education. Girls education charity is offered the most in Islamic communities such that girls can become independent and live healthy lifestyle. Now day’s people believe whether it is a boy or a girl educating them is very important. There are different feminist movements which take place every day;to bring awareness for girl education and help achieve good position in the society.
Education in Islamic colleges
There are many Islamic college which offer education to girls at a less fee. If in case the family is not able to afford to pay the college, student is allowed to educate themselves at free of cost. Considering so many initiatives taken for women education, many countries has removed the ban of woman education and are offering special courses in the support of girls.
Muslims are encouraged to perform Islamic charities in variety of ways. Performing such steps makes a society more pleasant place to live. To ensure, that people continues serving society and people living within it, we have brought forth some ways in which the religion encourages charities:
- Zakat is an act wherein Muslims are encouraged to give 2.5% of their wealth for good causes. This donation proves to be very beneficial for the community and helps fulfil local needs and services.
- Being cheerful to everyone or other people is the best thing to do, as it spreads smile on everyone’s face and makes them feel happy.
- Individuals are encouraged to stay honest, however the saddest part to it is people find it difficult to follow the same. Majority of people finds it comfortable staying dishonest rather than speaking truth. Muslim student’s studies in Islamic College are also guided to walk on the path of honesty.
- Being honest in appropriate clothes and dress is considered to be one of the most important things which should be performed by an individual for worship of Allah. It has been observed, that girls with time starts dressing in an awkward way. Such acts should be highly avoided, instead ways of conducting charities should be thought of for serving the society.
- Your birth in the society is not to show off; instead one should stay humble towards everyone. Modesty and humility is one of those characteristics, which help people treat each other with respect. One should note that humble behavior can reduce violence considerably.